Why You Should Get More than the State Minimum for Motorcycle Insurance

El Centro, CA is a wonderful place to own and ride a motorcycle. The weather is great, so you can drive it every day. Plus owning a motorcycle for transportation saves you money on gas. But in order to ride safely in El Centro, CA, you need to have motorcycle insurance. 

You may be considering purchasing the state minimum but this can leave you with a lot of out-of-pocket expenses if you are involved in a motorcycle accident, especially if it’s your fault and someone is injured, whether a passenger of yours, a pedestrian, or someone in another vehicle. At Citywide United Insurance Services, we recommend taking a look at what is available to supplement the state minimum.

  • Property Damage Liability: This add-on covers damage done to the other party’s vehicle as well as rental car coverage if needed.  
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: If you are in a motorcycle accident and it is the other person’s fault, but they are uninsured, this add-on will cover any injuries you sustain.  
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage: Like above, if the accident is not your fault and your motorcycle is wrecked but the other party his little to no insurance, your motorcycle will be covered.  
  • Personal Injury Protection: This protection pays for any bills such as medical, funeral, and burial bills. It doesn’t matter whose fault it is. You’re covered.  
  • Collision: This coverage will pay for damage to your motorcycle no matter whose fault the accident was.  
  • Comprehensive: This covers damages caused by something other than a collision. For example, if your motorcycle is stolen or vandalized, this coverage will kick in.  
  • Towing & Storage: If your motorcycle breaks down in route or needs to be towed and stored for any reason, this coverage will kick in.  

To learn more about the different types of motorcycle insurance, contact Citywide United Services today.  

Is Umbrella Insurance Only Good in Certain Situations?

Umbrella insurance is a policy type that was created to add extra coverage to policies that are already in existence. If you have a policy that you are already paying for and simply want to add a bit more coverage, an umbrella policy is a great place to start. For those that live in the El Centro, CA area, the agents with Citywide United Insurance Services can help you find the umbrella coverage that is going to work best for you.

Umbrella policies are great for a wide range of instances. For starters, if you have a policy that you already have in place and you like the coverage but just need a bit more, an umbrella policy is going to help without you having to create an entirely new policy or having to add a ton more coverage. Umbrella policies are not for everyone, however. Some people benefit greatly from this type of insurance coverage while others end up paying extra premiums without even using the extra coverage.

In cases where you need a bit more coverage, as in the case of someone on your auto policy that is prone to accidents and may need a bit more coverage, it may be beneficial. It is always helpful to take the time to really look at what an umbrella policy is going to cover and whether or not you think you are going to be able to use it and benefit from it. Umbrella policies can be added to just about any existing policy. All you have to do is pay a separate premium to help cover the cost of the supplemental policy.

For those that live in the El Centro, CA area, the agents with Citywide United Insurance Services can help you find a policy that will meet your needs. Don’t let your insurance limits be reached. Reach out to our office for an umbrella policy today.

5 Little Known Facts About Flood Insurance

There are lots of people who live in high-risk flood zones. People who live near bodies of water such as lakes, streams, and the ocean are at risk for sustaining damages to their property due to flooding. Although flood insurance is as important as regular homeowner’s insurance, most people choose not to purchase it. Most people assume that their regular homeowner’s insurance will cover any damages to their homes that result from a flood. If you have homeowner’s insurance and are contemplating whether or not you need flood insurance, here are five little-known things you need to know.

The Government’s Role in Flood Insurance

Most people believe there is very little difference between homeowner’s insurance and flood insurance. The truth of the matter is they are very different indeed, as they each cover a different set of risks. Beyond that, flood insurance and homeowner’s insurance can be purchased through the same insurance company. However, the federal government underwrites flood insurance policies.

Not Necessarily a Requirement Even if You Live in a High-Risk Flood Zone

One of the biggest reasons most people don’t have flood insurance is because of the expense. Flood insurance by many standards can be deemed as unaffordable for most people. Many people believe, however, that it is a requirement if you live in a high-risk flood zone. The truth of the matter is there are only certain types of mortgages that require flood insurance. Flood insurance becomes a requirement if a loan is regulated by the federal government, or if the mortgage is insured by the federal government. Some examples of these types of arrangements would include the farmer’s Home Administration or FHA, and the Veterans Administration.

Your Property Could be in a Flood Zone and You May Not Know It

If you have been in your house a while, it is possible that you could be living in a high-risk flood zone and not even know it. The reason that this could be a possibility is because of the inaccuracy of the flood zone maps. These Maps have not been updated as they should, although the federal government is making strides to update the information. The best thing homeowners can do is to check at least once a year with an insurer that sells flood zone insurance like Citywide United Insurance Services in El Centro, CA to see if their home is in a safe zone or a high-risk flood zone.

The Coverage is Not the Same

Most people assume flood insurance works in similar ways to homeowner’s insurance. Nothing could be further from the truth. Your home insurance will take care of things like temporary living expenses should you have to leave your home because of a catastrophic event. Such is not the case with flood insurance. Flood insurance will not cover the following if there is water damage or a flood:

  • Damages caused by mold mildew
  • Any costs or losses related to the interruption of a business because of an inability to use the property
  • Motor Vehicles and motorcycles
  • Septic systems
  • Swimming pools
  • Hot tubs index
  • Any other possessions outside of the insured home or building

Payout Could Depend on Forensic Science

Forensic science is often used to determine whether flood insurance or homeowner’s insurance should pay for the damage. In cases where homeowners have had roofs blown off due to hurricanes or tornadoes, for example, getting a decision on who is responsible for paying the claim is dependent on what caused the damage and when.

For example, if the wind blew the roof off of a home and water was allowed inside because of it, then homeowners insurance should be responsible for the claim. But it could be possible that saturation from heavy downpours could have caused a roof to leak or cave in thus paving the way for flood insurance to pay the claim. In cases where it is difficult to determine whether the wind came first, or the water came first, forensic science is used to make the determination.

Reach out to the offices of Citywide United Insurance Services in El Centro, CA for more information on flood insurance and how it can benefit your home or business.

Sharing the Same Building Makes Condo Accidents Everyone’s Issue

Condo insurance is unique and specific to shared living environments, similar to apartments and flats. It takes into account that multiple owners can be sharing the same property, which under normal circumstances insurance companies would not be immediately interested in covering. However, because the terms can be adjusted to protect the condo owner while limiting the overall risk to the insurance company, condo insurance can then become extremely useful and functional for all involved. However, it takes companies that understand the unique differences of living in a condo system is very different from generic residential insurance.

Most insurance companies are used to seeing very straightforward circumstances from consumers. They deal with one owner for one property and can base a coverage decision on whether the person seems like a responsible party or not. However, in a condo system, the unit of one owner is part of a structure that is shared with other parties. While the owner can be quite responsible, there is no guarantee that the other condo neighbors will be on their best behavior. Condo insurance then has to be designed in such a way that an owner is protected reasonably, but the insurance company doesn’t end up giving away free coverage to everyone in the building.

Contact us about Condo Insurance

The experts at Citywide United Insurance Services can help El Centro, CA residents stay protected in the condominiums, meaning less worry and more enjoyment of life. Unlike general El Centro, CA insurance offices, Citywide United Insurance Services specifically address the needs of multi-party structure coverage, including condos, apartments, and shared cooperative living structures. There’s no need to go without residential protection just because you’re not interested in traditional housing and instead prefer urban living.

Call Citywide United Insurance Services for more information and rest assured you’re protected.

Term Life Vs Whole Life: Which Life Insurance Policy is Best for You?

All life insurance policies are not the same. Policies are structured to fit the needs, goals, and circumstances of each individual. Two of the main types of life insurance are term life and whole life. What do these terms mean and which one should you choose to cover the important people in your life?

What is Term Life?

Term life policies cover subscribers for a specific number of years. If you purchase a 30-year policy and survive the life of the policy, your coverage ends, and any subsequent events will not trigger a payout. These policies are designed to protect your dependents financially in case of your untimely passing. Most contracts last between 10 and 30 years, but insurance agents like those at Citywide United Insurance Services in the El Centro, CA area can customize a policy to a length that fits your circumstances.

What is Whole Life?

Whole life policies never end. Sometimes called permanent life insurance, these policies can accumulate cash value over time. Subscribers can use this cash to pay the premiums or withdraw it as a loan. Any loans must be repaid with interest. If a subscriber passes without repaying the loan, their death benefits will be reduced by the amount left owing. These policies are a great strategy to add to a long-term financial plan.

Which One is Right for You?

Citywide United Insurance Services helps people in El Centro, CA area protect the important things in their lives with customized insurance policies. Our representatives can assess your goals and recommend the right life insurance policies for your unique situation. Contact us today to learn more about ensuring the future of your loved ones with life insurance.


Do You Need Auto Insurance if You Own a Vehicle for Your Business?

Many people think that if they have some form of auto insurance for all vehicles that they drive, that’s enough to cover them in the event of any type of accident, theft, or collision. Contrary to popular belief, however, this is not the case in some situations.

There are some instances in which you must have different types of auto insurance to cover your vehicle. Namely, if you are driving a car, truck, or any other form of vehicle for your business, you need to have what’s called commercial auto insurance.

What is commercial auto insurance?

Commercial auto insurance is essentially the same as typical personal auto insurance. The main difference is that it covers your business vehicles.

Let’s say that you make your own furniture. When someone buys a table from you, you deliver it to their home and collect payment. If this is the case, you’ll need to drive a large truck to deliver the table, which means you’re driving a vehicle for your business. Even if you only end up delivering your furniture ever once in a while, you still need to have commercial auto insurance for your truck. That’s because if you were to get in an accident when delivering furniture in your truck, your personal auto insurance would not cover the damages.

Contact Citywide United Insurance Services Today

El Centro, CA residents who are on the lookout for auto insurance should contact Citywide United Insurance Services for assistance. One of our agents would be happy to sit down with any resident of El Centro, CA to discuss the myriad of auto insurance coverage options available. To start with, stop by our nearest location or give us a call. We look forward to hearing from you!

Commercial Insurance Should Be One Of Your First Business Decisions

So you have decided to open a business in the El Centro, Ca area? One of the first things you need to consider, once your idea becomes a reality, is purchasing reliable commercial insurance from Citywide United Insurance Services. Commercial insurance is designed to cover the items that help you run your business on a daily basis. If you suffer a covered loss, you can get back on your feet and back to normal in a short time.

When To Purchase Insurance

You have a name for your business and a concept, and next comes purchasing equipment, office supplies, electronics, and more to get your business up and running. Once you have purchased all of the products and equipment you need to open, you should begin to look for a commercial insurance provider. The sooner you protect your investment, the easier you can rest knowing that you can recover easily from a loss. Don’t wait to purchase your insurance after you open. Unfortunate events can occur at any time, and you don’t want to leave your investment vulnerable to chance.

How Much Coverage?

When determining coverage amounts, you should add up all of the companies physical assets such as electronic equipment, heavy machinery, supplies, office equipment, and inventory. Once you have an accurate figure, you should then purchase insurance that is rounded up to the next available amount. If you are unsure about selecting a coverage amount, your insurance agent can help you make the right selection so you don’t have to worry about getting back on your feet quickly after a covered event.

Don’t leave your business without coverage. Protect your property and all of the assets you need to make your company thrive. Contact Citywide United Insurance Services in El Centro, CA today to get started protecting your business today.

The Basics of Buying Home Insurance

If you are about to settle into a new home and you need to purchase homeowner’s insurance, you don’t need to worry much since Citywide United Insurance Services will take you through the entire process, especially if you reside in El Centro, CA and its surroundings. Below is a basic guide on how to purchase a home insurance policy.

Compare different quotes

There different types of insurance quotes offered by our agency depending on the amount of protection you require. By visiting our agency, you will get a chance to choose the best quotes to ensure maximum benefit. You can also use our online rating tool for quotes on home and auto insurance.

Decide the amount of coverage you need

The value of your home insurance is determined by the amount you would need to rebuild the house and repair damaged property. The rebuilding cost will depend on the house size, building materials used, and house details/design. Notably, home insurance will give you a coverage of your possessions based on 75% of your home insurance value. As such, if your home is insured for $200,000, the maximum coverage of your possessions will be $150,000. However, home insurance policies have a lower coverage for certain items such as artwork, jewelry, and special collections. To avoid liabilities, you should purchase a different coverage for such items.

Choose your deductible amount

An excellent way to lower the premium costs is to choose a reasonable deductible amount. An amount of at least $1,000 will discourage you from filing small claims, and help you avoid the risk of losing a claim-free discount or being dropped by the insurer. Also, the deductible amount should be kept in an emergency fund to cover the deductible each time you wish to file a claim.

Finally, Citywide United Insurance Services advises you to check the insurer’s complaint record to gauge the satisfaction of previous clients. Considering that El Centro, CA is a moderate risk zone, it is advisable that you purchase a home insurance policy for your new home.